November 25, 2012

Surprise Dessert Bread (Shhh...)

This recipe was sent via snail mail to me by my grandmother. She's been telling me about this "amazing dessert bread recipe" she came across and "was such a hit" with her dear friends down in Arizona that she encouraged me to test it out.

I was a little hesitant, for one reason and one reason only: the main ingredient.

BUT, after devouring and entire loaf basically to myself, I thought I'd share it with you.
Get ready to be surprised.
Here we go.

Ingredients:
    4 eggs
    3 Cups all-purpose flour
    2 Cups white sugar
    1 Cup vegetable oil
    1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 Cup chopped walnuts
    and finally, the surprisingly secret ingredient: 1 (15 ounce) can of Pork & Beans

Yes, you read that correctly, I did say Pork & Beans.
Trust me, you'll be happily surprised.

Now, here's what to do:

1. Preheat your oven to 325 F. Grease & flour 2 bread loaf pans [preferably 9x5x3 inches].
2. Puree the can of undrained Pork & Beans in a food processor.


3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, flour, sugar, salt, oil, cinnamon, vanilla extract, baking soda & baking powder. After its mixed well, gently fold in nuts & pureed Pork & Beans. Divide batter evenly into 2 pans.

4. Bake for about 60 minutes, or until the bread tests done with a skewer.


Your house will probably start to smell cinnamon-y and delicious after 25 min of baking. My parents (the guinea pig's in the taste-test) thought I was making pumpkin bread. It smell THAT good!

Trust me, this dessert bread is delicious. You can have it with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream or have it for breakfast with a little butter. Either way, you won't believe how amazing it is!


xx


No comments:

Post a Comment