June 21, 2012

The Best Way to Start Your Day

I have always been a morning person. I'm not sure if it's because of all those years of waking up at the crack of dawn for gymnastics practice before school, or if it's because once I'm awake it's hard to go back to sleep. Either way, I like the morning (unless, of course, I've been heavily hydrating the night before, but that's another story entirely...).

One of the best parts of the morning is breakfast. I know a lot of people don't like breakfast and don't eat it, but it's so good for you! Breakfast increases brain function so you can stay focused throughout the day, it restores the sugar level in your body that you lost when you were sleeping and it helps you manage your stress level. There are a ton of reasons why you should eat breakfast and there are endless possibilies of what to eat!

I've recently discovered and fell in love with green smoothies. I know, I know... Spinach smoothie? It sounds weird. But here's the thing: they. are. fan. tastic.

eastsider diaries

And they're so effortless to make!

eastsider diaries

My green creation is a spinach smoothie. Spinach is brilliant- it's packed with vitamins, combats high blood pressure and inflammation and helps with your vision. 1 handful of Spinach has 20% of the recommended daily intake of fiber and vegetables.

The recipe is simple. All you need is:
       1 frozen banana
       1/2 cup of soy milk (or milk of your choice)
       2 tablespoons of peanut butter
       2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
       3-4 handfuls of spinach

[You can adjust the amount o each ingredient depending on what you like]
Throw everything in your blender and puree away!

eastsider diaries

eastsider diaries
  
eastsider diaries

eastsider diaries

eastsider diaries

eastsider diaries

eastsider diaries

eastsider diaries

With one simple spinach smoothie you are intaking the recommended amount of vegetables for a healthy diet. And the best part about it is that you can't taste the spinach at all! To me it just tastes like banana and peanut butter -- Mmmm! It's a perfect way to start the morning. Or if you want, you can have it as a snack! I guarantee that once you try one of these bad boys, you'll be as obsessed with them as I am! Cheers! xx




No comments:

Post a Comment